Spicy Sausage and Spinach Egg Croissants
Recipe courtesy of the American Egg Board.
3 Italian sausage links (12 ounces)
3 ounces baby spinach (3 1/2 cups)
6 large eggs, beaten
6 croissants, split
3/4 cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese (3 ounces)
- Cook sausages in large nonstick skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally, until cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes; remove from pan. Let cool slightly, then cut lengthwise in half.
- Clean pan. Coat with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot. Add spinach; sauté just until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour in eggs. As eggs begin to set, gently pull the eggs across the pan with an inverted turner, forming large soft curds.
- Continue cooking - pulling, lifting and folding eggs - until thickened and no visible liquid egg remains. Do not stir constantly.
- Spoon eggs onto croissant bottoms, dividing evenly. Top each with a sausage half, then with cheese. Cover with croissant tops.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 499; Total Fat: 32g; Saturated Fat: 15g; Cholesterol: 289mg; Total Carbs: 29g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 23g; Sodium: 1122mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the American Egg Board.