Super Easy Asparagus Strata
Recipe courtesy of the American Egg Board.
6 large eggs
Non-stick cooking spray
2 (15-ounce) cans asparagus spears, drained or 2 (12-ounce) packages frozen asparagus, cooked
2 tablespoons butter, melted
16 slices wheat loaf bread, crusts removed
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese - divided use
6 large eggs
3 cups skim milk
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Using cooking spray, coat a 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Place half of bread slices in bottom of dish.
- With a pastry brush, brush top of bread slices lightly with 1 tablespoon of melted butter.
- Place the spears from 1 can of asparagus crosswise over the top of bread slices; sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese. Place remaining bread slices on top. Brush tops of the bread slices with remaining melted butter, and repeat process with asparagus spears and cheese.
- In a bowl, beat together eggs, milk, onion, salt, dried mustard and pepper; mix well. Pour over bread, pressing bread with the back of a wooden spoon to make sure milk mixture thoroughly saturates and covers the bread, asparagus and cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake, uncovered in a preheated oven at 325°F (160°C) until a knife inserted in center of strata comes out clean, or about 45 to 55 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 433; Total Fat: 21g; Cholesterol: 226mg; Total Carbs: 37g; Fiber: 6g; Protein: 25g; Sodium: 1028mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the American Egg Board.