Swedish Coffee Cake
"My name is Barbie and live in Houston. I love this site. Everyone is so friendly. This recipe I am submitting was given to me by a Norwegian Friend. I do not know its origin or what it is called. She called it Swedish Coffee Cake. All I know is that it is delicious and goes great with your morning coffee." Recipe submitted by Barbie.
First Layer: Butter Crust Pastry Dough
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1/4-inch bits
2 tablespoons lard, chilled and cut into 1/4-inch bits
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
Second Layer: Cream Puff Dough
2 cups water
1 cup (2 stick) butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups all purpose flour
8 large eggs
Third Layer: Icing
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
3 tablespoons orange juice
1 teaspoon lemon juice
- For First Layer: In a large, chilled bowl, combine the butter, lard, flour, salt and sugar. With your fingertips rub the flour and fat together until they look like coarse meal. Do not let the mixture become oily. Pour 3 tablespoons of ice water over the mixture all at once, toss together lightly, and gather the dough into a ball. If the dough crumbles, add up to 1 tablespoon more ice water by drops until the particles adhere. Dust the pastry with a little flour and wrap it in wax paper. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before using.
- When chilled, roll out onto floured board into a large rectangle square. Cut into 3 strips approximately 3-inches wide. Place on lightly greased cookie sheet or sponge cake pan. Return to refrigerator while making second layer.
- For Second Layer: Heat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- In medium saucepan, heat water, butter and salt to rolling boil. Add flour all at once; stir vigorously over low heat about 1 minute or until mixture leaves side of pan and forms a ball.
- Remove from heat; add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until smooth and velvety. Spoon puff dough onto cut strips of pie dough.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes, until golden brown. Be sure to watch pie dough that it does not burn. Cool and frost with Icing
- For Third Layer: Mix ingredients together and frost cake.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.