Swedish Pancakes with Berry Topping
Traditionally lingonberries are used, no worries if they're not available in your area, this recipe calls for fresh raspberries and blackberries. Other juicy berries would work, as well.
1 1/2-pint basket raspberries
1 1/2-pint basket blackberries
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup half and half
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- For Topping: Combine raspberries, blackberries, sugar and ground cardamom in medium bowl. Mix together gently.
- Let mixture stand until berries are juicy, stirring occasionally, at least 30 minutes. Set aside.
- For Pancakes: Blend eggs and 1/3 cup milk in processor until smooth. Add flour, ground cardamom and salt and process until mixture is thick and smooth.
- With machine running, add remaining 2/3 cup milk, 1/3 cup half and half and the 3 tablespoons melted butter and mix batter until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 200°F (95°C). Place oven-proof platter in oven.
- Heat large griddle or skillet over medium-high heat. Brush griddle with melted butter.
- Working in batches, add batter to skillet, using 1 tablespoonful for each pancake. Cook until pancakes are brown, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to platter in oven to keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining batter, brushing with more butter as needed.
- Spoon berry topping over pancakes and serve.
Makes 4 servings.