Swiss and Croissant Casserole with
Bacon and Mushrooms
Breakfast casseroles are ideal fare to serve overnight guests or as the entrée of a brunch buffet.
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 (8-ounce) packages sliced fresh mushrooms
5 large (5-inch) croissants, torn into small pieces
1 (16-ounce) package bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 3/4 cups (7 ounces) Wisconsin Swiss Cheese, shredded - divided use
6 large eggs
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat oil in large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, sauté 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly softened; cool and drain.
- In large bowl, combine croissant pieces, bacon, 1 1/4 cups Swiss Cheese and sautéed mushrooms.
- In medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, Dijon mustard, tarragon, salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over croissant mixture. Toss and spread in buttered 9x13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining Swiss, cover with foil. Can be chilled up to 24 hours, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Bake, covered, 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 more minutes or until brown and puffed. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.