Toaster French Toast
12 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 slices day-old white or whole wheat bread
- Preheat oven to 500°F (260°C).
- Beat eggs, salt and milk in large bowl until blended.
- Pour 1/2 of the egg mixture into 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Place 6 bread slices in pan; turn slices over and let stand until egg mixture is absorbed. Place bread in single layer on well-greased baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining egg mixture and bread, using a second baking sheet.
- Bake in oven for 6 minutes. Turn slices over; spread with butter, if desired. Bake until golden brown and no visible liquid egg remains, 3 to 4 minutes longer.
- Serve or freeze for later use (see Tips below).
Makes 6 (2-toast) servings.
- Serve with your favorite syrup or preserves, or try applesauce, vanilla yogurt, cinnamon sugar, powdered sugar or chopped toasted nuts.
- To Freeze: Cool French toast on wire racks. Return to baking sheets; freeze in single layer 1 to 2 hours. Wrap well, individually or stacked; freeze up to 1 month.
- To Reheat Frozen French Toast: Single servings can be reheated in the toaster. To reheat more servings, unwrap slices, place on baking sheets and bake in preheated 375°F (190°C) oven until hot, 8 to 10 minutes.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the American Egg Board (AEB) and Egg Nutrition Center (ENC).