Vegetable Breakfast Tarts
Recipe courtesy of California Ripe Olives.
4 large eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons low-fat milk
3/4 cup broccoli florets, chopped and blanched
3/4 cup California Ripe Olives, halved
1/2 cup red onion, diced (1/4-inch)
1 russet potato, peeled and grated
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Mix in broccoli, California Ripe Olives and red onions. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Drain out all of the water from the grated potatoes by pressing over a fine mesh strainer. Place into a large mixing bowl, toss with flour and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over high heat. For each potato cake crust, scoop potato mixture using a quarter cup measure and place into pan. Pat down with tongs or a spatula into a 5-inch cake. Turn heat down to medium and cook for approximately 2 minutes on each side until golden. Repeat to create four potato crusts.
- Transfer cooked potato cakes to a preheated nonstick standard (4-inch) muffin top pan, lightly pressing each into its own indentation.
- Fill each crust with a heaping 1/3 cup of egg and California Ripe Olive mixture.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until egg is set.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly. Use an offset spatula to remove from pan and serve warm or room temperature.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 236; Calories From Fat: 56; Total Fat: 15g; Cholesterol: 211mg; Total Carbs: 17g; Protein: 9g; Sodium: 294mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Ripe Olives.