Vegetable Frittata with Asiago Cheese
This low-fat frittata with Asiago cheese is chock-full of garden vegetables and is delightful served for a weekend brunch or a light supper.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup red onion, chopped
1 cup red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1 cup zucchini, chopped
2 cups spinach leaves, torn into 1-inch pieces, packed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 large eggs
6 large egg whites
1 cup (4 ounces) Wisconsin Asiago Cheese, shredded - divided use
1/2 cup tomato, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat broiler.
- Heat olive oil in oven-safe, 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper; sauté until golden, about 8 minutes. Add zucchini; sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add spinach; stir until wilted, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper; remove from heat.
- Whisk eggs and egg whites in medium bowl.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup of Wisconsin Asiago cheese over hot vegetables in skillet and toss to combine.
- Add egg mixture to skillet and stir gently to combine. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook without stirring until eggs are set on bottom, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup Asiago cheese over frittata. Broil until cheese melts and frittata puffs around edges, 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle with tomatoes and basil.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Variation: For a Sausage and Vegetable Frittata, add 8 ounces Italian sausage to the skillet with the onions and bell peppers and sauté until cooked through. Continue with remaining instructions.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.