Enjoy this low-fat, veggie-loaded, guilt-free frittata for brunch or supper.
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon thyme
2 cups of broccoli, cut into small pieces (no stems)
8 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup reduced-fat Marble Jack cheese, shredded (any cheese will work)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat in a 9 to 10-inch skillet. Add the onion, red pepper, garlic and thyme. Sauté until onion is soft.
- Microwave covered broccoli for 2 minutes on high. Remove the vegetable from the skillet and add to broccoli.
- Turn on the broiler.
- While broiler is heating, beat the eggs, salt and pepper together.
- Put the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the skillet on medium heat. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and scatter the vegetables on top. Turn the heat to low and cook until the frittata is golden brown on the bottom and the egg is beginning to set, approximately 7 minutes.
- Oven proof the skillet handle by wrapping it in aluminum foil.
- Place frittata under the broiler and cook until it is almost firm.
- Add cheese to the top and again put under broiler until completely set and cheese is melted.
- Slide onto a plate and cut into wedges.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): calories 130, protein 9 g, carbohydrates 4 g, fat 9 g (2.5 saturated), cholesterol 215 mg, sodium 260 mg.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the American Egg Board.