Waffles with Variations
An excellent basic recipe for waffles with variations to make an easy change up on flavor.
2 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose or whole wheat flour
1/2 cup vegetable oil or butter melted
1 3/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon sugar (granulated or brown)
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat waffle iron.
- In medium mixing bowl, beat eggs until fluffy. Add remaining ingredients and beat just until smooth.
- Pour batter from cup or pitcher onto center of hot waffle iron. Bake about 5 minutes or until steaming stops. Remove waffle carefully.
Makes 12 (4-inch) waffles. Recipe can be doubled.
- Cheese'n'Bacon Waffles: Omit salt. Stir in 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese and 8 strips of bacon that have been crisply cooked and crumbled, into the batter.
- Corn Waffles: Omit salt. Substitute 1 cup cornmeal for 1 cup flour and 1 (8-ounce) can cream-style corn for 3/4 cup milk. Add a dash or two of Tabasco brand hot sauce, if desired.
- Nutty Waffles: Pour batter onto center of hot waffle iron. Immediately sprinkle about 2 tablespoons chopped nuts over batter before closing iron.