3-Day Coconut Cake
"At Christmas, I pick real holly leaves and wash and dry them. I then take white chocolate and tint it green and paint the back of each leaf and freeze the leaf for about 2 minutes, then remove them and paint them again and freeze for another minute. Carefully peel the real leaf off and you have an edible leaf to place on this coconut cake. This cake can also be decorated for Easter, too!" - Recipe submitted by Judy Hensley of Gate City, Virginia USA.
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup sour cream
1 cup coconut
1 (18.25-ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 (12-ounce) container non-dairy whipped topping
- For First Day: Mix ingredients together and refrigerate.
- For Second Day: Mix cake as directed on package; pour into a greased and floured 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Bake as directed on package; cool 10 to 15 minutes in pan and carefully remove cake from pan; allow to cool completely on wire rack; wrap cake well and freeze.
- For Third Day: Add the whipped topping to the first day's mixture, mix well.
- Remove frozen cake from freezer split length wise into 2 pieces.
- Spread 1/2 of the filling on the bottom layer, place the second layer on top of this and spread remaining filling on the top layer. Keep refrigerated.
Makes 12 servings.
Tip: This cake can be baked in 2 (8 or 9-inch) round baking pans then sliced into 4 layers, if you prefer. Follow the same directions.