Almond Marble Pound Cake
Almond, vanilla and chocolate join forces in this attractive, swirled pound cake.
1 cup vanilla chips
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 (16-ounce) packages pound cake mix
1 1/3 cups water
4 large eggs
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Grease and flour two 9x5x3-inch pans.
- Add vanilla chips to a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH until melted, about 1 minute. Add almond extract and stir until smooth.
- In another microwave-safe bowl, add chocolate chips and microwave on HIGH until melted. Add vanilla and stir until smooth.
- Combine pound cake mix, water, eggs and melted butter. Beat for 3 minutes, then divide in half.
- To one bowl, add melted vanilla chips. Beat 1 minute then set aside. To the other bowl, add melted chocolate chips. Beat for 1 minute then set aside.
- Alternately pour batters into prepared pans and using a knife, swirl to create a marbled effect. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until center is set. Cool in pans for 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes 16 servings.