Angel Food Cake
Recipe courtesy of The Incredible Edible Egg™.
12 large egg whites, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)s
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1 cup sifted cake flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in mixer bowl with whisk attachment on high speed until foamy. Beating constantly, add granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating after each addition until sugar is dissolved
before adding the next tablespoon. (Rub a bit of mixture between thumb and forefinger; it should feel completely smooth.) Continue beating until whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks. Beat in vanilla extract and almond extract, if desired.
- Sift powdered sugar, flour and salt together twice. Sift about 1/2 cup of the flour mixture over egg whites. Fold in gently just until flour disappears. Do not stir. Repeat sifting and folding in flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time.
- Pour batter into an ungreased 10x4-inch tube pan. Gently cut through batter with metal spatula to release any air pockets.
- Bake in the center of 375°F (190°C) oven until top springs back when lightly tapped with finger, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Invert cake in pan, with tube resting on a bottle. Cool completely, about 1 1/2 hours, before removing from pan.
Makes 10 servings.
- Frost cake with a simple vanilla extract, lemon or Chocolate Glaze or serve with whipped cream and fresh berries.
- Angel food cakes have a delicate structure. Use a serrated knife to cut the cake with a gentle sawing motion, taking care not to tear it.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/10 of recipe): Calories: 188; Total Fat: 0g; Saturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Total Carbs: 41g; Fiber: 0g; Protein: 5g; Sodium: 125mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Incredible Edible Egg™.