Apple Cake with Caramel Sauce
"I teach culinary art and we have buffet one day a week, we (always) have a big request for this cake. The sauce is what makes the cake so good. I love cooking and have so many recipes to share." Recipe submitted by Judy Hensley of Gate City, Virginia USA.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 (17-ounce) package nut quick bread mix
3 cups apple pie filling, chopped fine
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 stick (1/2 cup) margarine or butter
1 cup whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease (or use cooking spray) a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the oil and egg; then add the remaining ingredients, mixing well with a wooden spoon.
- Pour into prepared baking pan and bake for 35 minutes or until tested done when wooden pick is inserted in center comes out clean. (Or if center springs back when lightly pressed.)
- Serve warm or cool with the Caramel Sauce.
- For Caramel Sauce: Mix all ingredient together in a medium saucepan and bring to a rolling boil. Remove and cool slightly.
- To serve, spoon warm sauce over individual servings of Apple Cake. Makes about 3 1/2 cups sauce.
Makes 12 servings.