Apple-Oat Snack Cake
Here's a snack cake you can feel good about serving.
1 1/4 cups boiling water
1 cup quick or old fashioned oats
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup wheat germ
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
2 cups peeled, chopped apples
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease 13x9x2-inch baking pan with vegetable shortening.
- Combine boiling water and oats in large bowl; set aside.
- Combine flour, sugars, wheat germ, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and nuts in medium bowl; set aside.
- Add apples, oil, eggs and vanilla to oat mixture; mix well. Stir in dry ingredients; mix just until moistened. (Do not overmix.) Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
Makes 12 servings.