Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
A delicious, old-fashioned spiced applesauce
cake with a nutty cream cheese frosting.
- For Cake:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
Grease and flour a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish; set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, soda, salt, baking
powder, and spices into a large mixing bowl. Mix
in 1/2 cup butter, buttermilk, and applesauce. Beat for 2 minutes
with an electric mixer on medium speed.
Beat in eggs. Fold in nuts. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until wooden pick
inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire
rack completely before frosting.
- For Frosting: Melt 1/4 cup butter over
medium heat, and add nuts. Keep stirring until nuts have browned.
- Mix powdered sugar, cream cheese, and
vanilla with electric mixer until smooth. Stir cooled
pecan mixture into cream cheese mixture and
Makes 12 servings.
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.