A delicious and wholesome, honey-sweetened applesauce spice cake made with whole wheat, chopped dates and walnuts.
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup honey
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice or ginger
1 cup chopped dates
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Grease a 13x9x2-inch pan; set aside.
- Cream butter in large bowl. Gradually beat in honey until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; mix well.
- Combine dry ingredients in medium bowl; reserve 2 tablespoons flour mixture.
- Combine dates, walnuts and reserved 2 tablespoons flour mixture in small bowl; set aside. Add remaining flour mixture and applesauce alternately to creamed mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in date mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Honey Board.