Autumn Apple Cake
This cake makes a wonderful ending to a meal.
1 (12-ounce) package frozen escalloped apples
1 (18.25-ounce) package spice cake mix
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
Rustic Apple Filling (recipe follows):
2 (12-ounce) packages frozen escalloped apples
1/4 cup corn starch
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows):
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
5 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Thaw escalloped apples in microwave at MEDIUM (50% power) 5 to 6 minutes.
- Combine apples, cake mix, and next 3 ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Beat at low speed with an electric mixer until blended; beat at medium speed 2 minutes. Pour into 3 greased and floured 9-inch cakepans.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For Rustic Apple Filling: Thaw escalloped apples in microwave at MEDIUM (50% power) 5 to 6 minutes.
- Combine apples and cornstarch in a medium saucepan, stirring well. Stir in sugar, cinnamon, and butter; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Cool completely.
- Spread Rustic Apple Filling evenly between layers.
- For Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended. Gradually add sugar, and beat until smooth. Add milk and vanilla, beating until fluffy.
- Spread Cream Cheese Frosting on top and sides of cake. Garnish if desired.
Makes 1 (3-layer) cake.
Recipe is the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.