Here's a flavor combination that's hard
to beat! Moist banana cake and creamy caramel-flavored penuche
frosting compliment each other perfectly.
This homemade banana cake is prepared using
the one-bowl method. Making a cake "from scratch" couldn't
be easier and it works every time!
Another delicious recipe from our Family-Favorite
Banana Cake with
- Banana Cake:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 (medium-sized) ripe bananas, broken
- 2/3 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Penuche Frosting:
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C)**.
Grease and flour a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- For the Banana Cake: Place all ingredients
in a large mixing bowl and beat on low speed just until ingredients
are wet, increase speed to medium-high and continue beating for
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan,
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until a wooden
pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely
on a wire rack before frosting.
- For Penuche Frosting: Place the brown
sugar, butter and milk in a small saucepan and bring to a boil
over medium heat; boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat; set aside to allow mixture
to cool to room temperature.
- Once mixture has cooled, stir in the vanilla
and then add the powdered sugar, stirring just until ingredients
are combined, then beat with an electric mixer on high (or vigorously
with a wooden spoon) until frosting is creamy and of a spreadable
consistency. If frosting is too thick, add a teaspoon or more
of milk until desired consistency is reached; frost immediately.
Makes 12 servings.
*To make 2/3 cup sour milk, place 2 teaspoons
white vinegar into measuring cup and fill with milk to measure
2/3 cup, allow to set for about 5 minutes before using.
**If using a dark baking pan or glass baking
dish, reduce oven temperature to 325°F (160°C).
Tip: If desired, garnish top of cake with
finely chopped toasted nuts.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12
of recipe: 446.8 calories; 34% calories from fat; 17.6g total
fat; 56.6mg cholesterol; 334.8mg sodium; 207.3mg potassium; 69.0g
carbohydrates; 1.2g fiber; 46.8g sugar; 67.8g net carbs; 4.7g
Copyright Hope Pryor, please see Terms
of Use. Photograph by Hope Pryor; property of CooksRecipes.com.