Banana Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Filling
These scrumptious, easy-to-make cupcakes have a delectable sweet cream cheese filling laced with mini butterscotch or chocolate chips.
Cream Cheese Filling:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 cup minature butterscotch, semisweet or white chocolate chips
3/4 cup finely chopped nuts
2 tablespoons brown sugar, firmly packed or granulated sugar
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher or coarse salt
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium bananas)
2/3 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
- For Cream Cheese Filling: In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and egg until smooth. Stir in desired flavor chips; set aside.
- For Topping: In a small bowl, stir together nuts and sugar; set aside.
- For Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line medium muffin cups with paper bake cups; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the bananas, buttermilk or sour milk, shortening and vanilla.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Add the eggs. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Fill muffin cups 1/2 full with batter.
- Spoon about 1 teaspoonful filling into center of each cupcake.
- Sprinkle about 1 teaspoonful topping over top of each cupcake.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in cake portion comes out clean.
- Remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely.
Makes 36 cupcakes.
Shortcut Tip: Instead of making the cupcakes by scratch, you can use 1 (18.25-ounce) package banana cake mix, instead.