"This recipe has been handed down for at least four generations in my family." - Recipe submitted by Brenda.
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg (slightly beaten)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk (whole milk)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup fresh or whole frozen blueberries (unthawed)
Sugar for sprinkling (Raw or turbinado sugar is nice)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cream together shortening and sugar. Add 1 slightly beaten egg and vanilla.
- In another bowl, combine the 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk.
- In a small bowl, stir together the 1/4 cup flour and blueberries, then gently fold berries into batter..
- Pour into a greased 9-inch baking dish and sprinkle top with sugar.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 35 minutes.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
© Copyright 1999; Photograph property of CooksRecipes.com.