Blueberry Funny Cake
This 'funny' cake is baked like no other! It's actually a hybrid cake-pie, with blueberry-swirled cake batter baked in a pastry pie crust. So, if you can't make your mind up whether you're in the mood for cake or pie, this dessert is the perfect solution for having both at the same time.
1 unbaked (9-inch) pie crust
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
- Prepare pie crust; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In saucepan combine blueberries, 1/2 cup sugar and lemon juice. Stirring gently, heat mixture until it is simmering and sugar is completely dissolved. Let cool to lukewarm.
- Meanwhile, cream butter and 1/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, mixing well.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Add alternately with the milk to egg mixture.
- Gently fold blueberry sauce into batter just until it appears swirled, do not over mix.
- Pour batter into unbaked pie shell.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until cake tests done when wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Makes 8 servings.