Blueberry Spice Cake
The only thing this flavorful spice cake, bursting with juicy blueberries, needs is a generous dusting of powdered sugar to serve.
2 cups blueberries
2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 large egg, at room temperature
3 tablespoons molasses
1 cup sour milk or buttermilk
Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease and flour a 13x9x2-inch pan; set aside. Sprinkle blueberries with 1 tablespoon flour; set aside.
- Combine remaining 2 cups flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg to butter mixture; beat well. Gradually beat in the molasses.
- Alternately add the creamed mixture with the milk to the dry ingredients, a little at a time, beating well after each addition. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Dust with powdered sugar when completely cool.
Makes 12 servings.