Blueberry Cake with Coconut Topping
A scrumptious brown sugar and coconut topping makes an easy finishing touch for this lemony, blueberry-studded cake.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1 cup fresh blueberries*
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
Sweetened whipped cream for accompaniment
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9-inch cake pan. Set aside. Combine flour, baking powder and 1 teaspoon lemon peel in small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine 1/4 cup butter and sugar in medium bowl; beat until creamy. Add egg; beat until well mixed. Stir in flour mixture alternately with milk until batter is thick and smooth. Gently stir in blueberries. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until cake is light golden brown and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Heat broiler. Meanwhile, combine all topping ingredients in small bowl until well mixed. Spread evenly over top of warm cake. Broil 6 inches from heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until topping is bubbly and golden brown.
- To serve, cut warm cake into wedges; dollop with whipped cream.
Makes 8 servings.
*Substitute 1 cup frozen blueberries, partially thawed.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 340, Fat: 14g, Cholesterol: 60mg, Sodium: 160mg, Carbohydrates: 49g, Dietary Fiber: 1g, Protein: 4g.