Blueberry Polenta Cake
This cake is the perfect little pick-me-up for your midday slump. A savory, grainy cornmeal base means this cake isn't too sweet, yet it still satisfies your cravings with blueberries and a light sprinkling of powdered sugar. Bake the cake at the start of the week, and pack it up by the slice for a boost of sweet energy.
1 cup cake flour (or 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons all-purpose four)
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1⁄3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon rind, packed
1 (4-ounce) package fresh or frozen blueberries
1 tablespoon powdered sugar (optional)
Blueberry Compote: (optional)
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon lemon juice or vanilla extract
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). With parchment or wax paper, line the bottom of a 9-inch cake pan and spray well with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, oil, egg, yogurt, lemon juice and rind. Fold in flour mixture until just combined, then fold in blueberries. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake until cake springs back when gently pressed in the center, about 35 minutes.
- Cool pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- With a knife, loosen edges before inverting cake onto a cake plate to cool to room temperature.
- Just before serving, sift powdered sugar over the top or serve with Blueberry Compote, if desired.
- For Blueberry Compote: In a small pan, combine blueberries and maple syrup. Over high heat, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer just until the first berry pops, 1 to 2 minutes.
- In a cup, combine water and cornstarch. Stir mixture into blueberries. Cook and stir until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice or vanilla. Makes scant 2 cups.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of cake recipe): 314 calories, 42 g carbohydrate, 15 g total fat.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of compote recipe; about 3 tablespoons): 49 calories, 12 g carbohydrate, 0 g total fat.
Recipe and photograph are courtesy of the US Highbush Blueberry Council. Used with permission.