An excellent recipe for classic carrot cake with the traditional cream cheese frosting.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups shredded carrot
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups powdered sugar
Additional chopped pecans or walnuts for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- For Cake: In a large bowl, stir together flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together eggs, oil and vanilla, mixing well.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture, blending well. Stir in carrot and pecans.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- For Cream Cheese Frosting: In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until well blended. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating to spreading consistency.
- Frost cooled cake. Garnish with pecans, if desired.
Makes 12 to 15 servings.