Cherries & Cream Chocolate Torte
An easy chocolate torte with a layer of sweetened cream cheese topped with cherry pie filling.
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped to stiff peaks
1 cup cherry pie filling
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease bottom only of 9-inch springform pan.
- For Torte: In a medium bowl mix together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a wooden spoon, stir together butter, sugar and vanilla; stir in eggs and mix well.
- Gradually add flour mixture to egg mixture, beating until well blended.
- Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until cake is set. (Cake will not test done as its texture is intended to be fudgy) Remove from oven; cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- For Topping: In medium bowl, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until well blended; fold in whipped cream, blending well. Spread over top of cooled cake. Spread cherry pie filling over cream layer. Refrigerate several hours before serving.
- With knife, loosen cake from side of pan; remove side of pan.
- Cut into wedges to serve. Refrigerate leftovers.
Makes 12 servings.