Chocolate Eclair Cake
A puff pastry cake topped with a vanilla cream cheese filling, and drizzled decoratively with a simple chocolate icing.
4 large eggs
1/2 cup butter
1 cup water
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
4 cups milk
3 (3-ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
1 (16-ounce) container whipped topping
Easy Chocolate Icing:
3 tablespoons baking cocoa
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon butter, melted
About 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs in a small bowl and set aside.
- In 2-quart saucepan, melt butter in water. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture forms a ball. Remove from heat and beat in eggs all at one time, continue beating until smooth.
- Spread in prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Combine cream cheese and milk, beating until smooth. Add pudding, one package at a time. Spoon over cooled shell. Spread with whipped topping and drizzle with Easy Chocolate Icing.
- For Easy Chocolate Icing: In small bowl combine cocoa and powdered sugar, mixing well.
- Add butter and water and beat until smooth, adding a small amount of water, if needed, until the consistency is right to drizzle icing onto cake.
- Chill at least one hour before serving.
Makes 12 servings.