Chocolate Eggnog Cake
Ready-made eggnog easily gives this chocolate cake, and the frosting, a festive, winter holiday flair.
2 ounces semisweet chocolate
1 (18.25-ounces) package German chocolate cake mix
1 cup commercial eggnog
1/3 cup brandy or water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Creamy Eggnog Frosting:
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 1/2 to 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
3 to 4 tablespoons commercial eggnog
2 teaspoons brandy or vanilla extract
Ground nutmeg, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a 13x9x2-inch pan. Set aside.
- Grate 1 tablespoon of the chocolate and set aside.
- Chop remaining chocolate into smaller pieces, place in a glass measure or small bowl and melt in the microwave at HIGH power for 1 minute. Allow to chocolate to set a few minutes, then stir to melt completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cake mix, eggnog, brandy, oil, eggs, vanilla, nutmeg, and melted chocolate for 3 minutes. Pour batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until tested done with a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool completely on wire rack before frosting.
- Frost sides and top of cake with Creamy Eggnog Frosting. Sprinkle with reserved grated chocolate and ground nutmeg.
- For Creamy Eggnog Frosting: In a large mixing bowl combine the butter, powdered sugar, eggnog and brandy or vanilla extract. Using an electric mixer at medium speed, beat until mixture is light and fluffy, adding more powdered sugar or eggnog as necessary to obtain a spreadable consistency.
Makes 12 servings.