Chocolate Marshmallow Cake
A moist, homemade chocolate cake topped with melted miniature marsmallows and drizzled with a chocolate marshmallow glaze.
1/2 cup butter
2 (1-ounce) squares baking chocolate
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (10.5-ounce) package miniature marshmallows - divided use
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a saucepan melt butter over medium heat; remove pan and add chocolate. Let stand a few minutes and then stir until chocolate has melted. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a mixing bow, beat eggs, sugar, applesauce and vanilla. Stir in chocolate mixture. Add dry ingredients; mix well.
- Pour into a greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 20 to 30 minutes or until cake tests done when wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Set aside 1/2 cup marshmallows for the glaze. Sprinkle remaining marshmallows over cake. Return to the oven for 2 minutes or until marshmallows are softened.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, milk and butter. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 1/2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in chocolate chips and reserved 1/2 cup marshmallows until melted. Quickly drizzle over the cake. (Glaze will harden as it cools.)
Makes 12 servings.