A sensational mocha chocolate layer cake, frosted and filled with a luscious creamy mocha frosting.
2/3 cup Dutch process cocoa
1 1/3 cups hot water - divided use
6 tablespoons instant coffee granules - divided use
2 sticks (1 cup) butter or margarine, softened
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup coffee liqueur
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup Dutch process cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coffee liqueur
1 (2-pound) package powdered sugar
1/4 cup strong brewed coffee, cooled
1/4 cup whipping cream or milk
Garnish: chocolate-covered coffee beans
- Stir together cocoa, 2/3 cup hot water, and 3 tablespoons coffee granules until smooth. Cool.
- Stir together remaining 2/3 cup hot water and remaining 3 tablespoons coffee granules; cool.
- Beat cocoa mixture, butter, and next 3 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended.
- Stir together flour and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with coffee, beating at low speed and beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat 1 minute. Pour into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 325°F (160°C) for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks. Brush layers with coffee liqueur.
- Spread Mocha Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish, if desired.
- For Mocha Frosting: Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add cocoa and salt alternately with liqueur, beating until blended.
- Gradually add powdered sugar alternately with coffee and whipping cream, beating until blended. Makes about 5 cups frosting.
Makes 12 servings.