Chocolate Walnut Upside Down Cake
Rich, irresistible walnut chocolate upside-down Bundt® cake.
1 3/4 cups sifted cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened - divided use
1/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 cup whipping cream
1 cup chopped walnuts
3 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk
Whipped cream or sour cream
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl; set aside.
- Combine corn syrup, 1/4 cup butter, brown sugar, and whipping cream in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, just until mixture comes to a simmer (do not boil). Remove from heat; stir in walnuts (mixture will be thin). Pour into a well-greased 12-cup Bundt® pan. Set aside.
- Melt chocolate in top of a double boiler over simmering water. Set aside.
- Cream remaining butter at medium speed of an electric mixer until soft and creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating at medium speed for 5 to 7 minutes. Add reserved melted chocolate, egg yolks, and vanilla, beating well. Add the reserved flour mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, mixing at low speed just until blended after each addition.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Beat egg whites in another bowl at high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into cake batter.
- Spoon batter over walnut mixture in pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Loosen cake from sides of pan, using a narrow spatula. Immediately invert cake onto a serving plate.
- Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream or sour cream.
Makes 12 servings.