Chocolate Cherry Kuchen
A festive, glazed yeast bread Bundt® cake laced with almonds, maraschino cherries and chocolate chips, decorated with a chocolate drizzle.
1 (16-ounce) package hot roll mix
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup hot water (120°F to 130°F | 50°C to 55°C)
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons almond extract
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 (10-ounce) jar maraschino cherries, chopped - liquid reserved
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup reserved maraschino liquid
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vegetable shortening
- Grease a 12-cup Bundt® pan with vegetable shortening; set aside
- For Cake: In large bowl, mix together hot roll mix including yeast packet and sugar until well combined. Stir in hot water, butter, eggs and almond extract, mixing well. Fold in chocolate chips, chopped cherries and almonds. Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Cake will not rise to top of pan.)
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Bake cake in center of oven 35 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven to wire rack; cool 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan; cool 10 minutes.
- For Cherry Glaze: While cake is baking, mix together sugar and cherry liquid in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Cook, uncovered, stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat; cool slightly and stir in almond extract. Brush warm cake with Cherry Glaze. Cool completely.
- For Chocolate Drizzle: Melt 1/2 cup chips and shortening in microwave at HIGH (100%) for 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave at HIGH an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, just until chips are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred. Using fork, drizzle decoratively over cake.
Makes 12 servings.