Chocolate Strawberry Ice Cream Cake
A sensational no-bake layered ice cream 'cake' with swirls of homemade strawberry sauce, and a chocolate fudge sauce frosting.
1 (10-ounce) package frozen sliced strawberries in syrup.
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons lemon juice.
Chocolate Fudge Sauce:
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1 tablespoon rum (optional)
1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
1 quart pistachio ice cream, softened
- For Strawberry Sauce: Slightly thaw strawberries, pour into saucepan. Mix sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl and stir into strawberries. Bring to boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes, or until sauce is slightly thick. Remove from heat. Add lemon juice. Chill. Makes about 1 1/4 cup sauce.
- Chocolate Fudge Sauce: In heavy saucepan, combine heavy cream, sugar and unsweetened chocolate. Melt over low heat, stirring constantly. Stir in rum, if desired. Cool. Makes about 1 cup sauce.
- To Assemble Cake: Fill 8-inch springform pan with ice creams, alternating flavors to create a marbled effect. Swirl in Strawberry Sauce. Smooth surface; freeze until firm.
- Frost with Chocolate Fudge Sauce. Return to freezer until sauce is firm.
- To serve, remove from pan for about 15 minutes before serving and slice.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of California Strawberry Commission. ©2003 California Strawberry Commission. All rights reserved.