Chocolate Yogurt Cake
You'll be asked to make this rich and moist chocolate layer cake again. Count on it.
2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain yogurt
3 large eggs
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup plain yogurt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 cups powdered sugar
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour 2 (8-inch) round cake pans; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt; mix ingredients. Add yogurt, eggs oil and vanilla; beat at low speed until ingredients are moistened, scraping bowl constantly. Then beat at medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping the bowl occasionally.
- Pour into prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool 10 minutes in pans then remove and cool completely on wire rack.
- Frost cooled cake with Chocolate Yogurt Frosting.
- For Chocolate Yogurt Frosting: Combine chocolate chips and butter in a small saucepan. Heat over a low setting; stirring constantly, until melted. Transfer mixture to medium mixing bowl; cool slightly. Blend in yogurt, vanilla and salt. Stir in enough powdered sugar until frosting is thick enough to spread. Fill and frost cooled cakes.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wheat Foods Council.