Citrus Pound Cake
This pound cake is flavored with the peel of both lemons and oranges. Orange juice is brushed onto the cooling cake to further infuse it with citrus flavor; perfect for an afternoon tea.
4 large eggs
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup half-and-half
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
2 teaspoons finely grated orange peel
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Line a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan with greased parchment or wax paper.
- In a medium bowl beat eggs with an electric mixer. Slowly add sugar and salt and beat until fluffy. Beat in half-and-half and lemon and orange peel; set aside.
- In another bowl, sift together flour and baking powder. Add to egg mixture and beat on low until smooth; stir in butter.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 60 to 75 minutes, or until cake tester or wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Pierce top all over with wooden pick and brush with orange juice. Cool completely, then invert to remove.
Makes 1 loaf cake; 9 servings.