Cream Cheese-Chocolate Chip Tunnel Cake
Cut into this cake to reveal a delectable tunnel of sweetened cream cheese and chocolate chips.
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs, beaten lightly
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup strong coffee
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese - softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup (6-ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 to 3 tablespoons hot water
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Generously grease a 10-inch Bundt® or tube pan. Set aside.
- For the cake: Combine sugar, oil and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Beat for one minute until smooth. Add remaining cake ingredients and beat at medium speed for three minutes, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Set batter aside and prepare filling.
- For filling: Cream the sugar with cream cheese at medium-high speed. Add the vanilla and egg and beat until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips, mixing well.
- Pour half of the cake batter into the prepared pan. Spoon the filling mixture evenly over the layer of batter, then carefully pour remaining batter over the filling.
- Bake for 65 to 70 minutes or until cake tests done when lightly pressed in the center and cake springs back. Cool cake on a wire rack for 20 to 25 minutes before removing from pan. Cool completely before glazing.
- For the glaze: Combine all ingredients to form a consistency thin enough to drizzle decoratively on the cooled cake.
Makes 12 servings.