Cream of Coconut Cake
This may be the best tasting, best textured coconut cake made with a cake mix. It is incredibly moist and flavorful, and perfectly complimented with fluffy cream cheese frosting.
1 (18.25-ounce) package white cake mix
3 large eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 (8-ounce) can cream of coconut*
1 cup sour cream
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 cups flaked coconut for garnish (or as needed)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C)**. Grease and flour one 13x9x2-inch pan.
- Combine in large mixing bowl, cake mix, eggs, vegetable oil, cream of coconut and sour cream; beat with electric mixer for 4 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake completely before frosting.
- For Cream Cheese Frosting: Combine cream cheese, butter, vanilla and sifted powdered sugar and beat with electric mixer until smooth. (Makes enough frosting to generously frost one 13x9x2-inch cake or one 2-layer cake.)
- Frost cake and garnish with coconut.
Makes 12 servings.
*Such as Coco Real or Coco Lopez, a thick, sweet cream made from coconut. "Cream of coconut" and "coconut milk" are not interchangeable.
**If using a dark baking pan(s) or glass baking dish, reduce oven temperature to 325°F (160°C).
Variation: For a double-layer cake, evenly divide cake batter into two greased and floured 9-inch cake pans. Bake 350°F (175°C) for 27 to 35 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. To remove cakes, first cool in pans on wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes, then run a knife around the edge of pans, and carefully invert.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): 494.9 calories; 59% calories from fat; 33.4g total fat; 92.3mg cholesterol; 415.8mg sodium; 186.6mg potassium; 43.7g carbohydrates; 1.5g fiber; 26.4g sugar; 42.2g net carbs; 6.7g protein.