English Toffee Cake
An elegant, cake-mix-easy chocolate four-layer cake filled with a Kahlua-spirited whipped cream filling and crushed chocolate-covered toffee candies.
1 (18.25-ounce) package chocolate cake mix
6 chocolate-covered toffee candy bars, crushed (such as Skor®)
1/3 cup Kahlua liqueur
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
2 to 3 cups heavy or whipping cream (unwhipped)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Bake cake according to package directions in two 9-inch layer pans. Cool completely. Slice cakes in half so you have 4 rounds.
- Pour Kahlua into a glass measuring cup. Sprinkle with gelatin. Let soak 5 minutes. Then heat in microwave for 20 seconds, or until warm to the touch so gelatin will dissolve when stirred.
- Beat whipping cream, gradually adding sugar until soft peaks form. Fold in the dissolved gelatin mixture.
- Lay cake rounds on counter. Evenly divide whipped cream on each cake. Leave sides bare. Sprinkle each layer with chopped Skor candy bars. Stack cake rounds.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours uncovered, to allow gelatin to set.
Makes 12 to 16 servings.