Espresso Chocolate Turtle Cake
Recipe courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.
1 (18-ounce) package dark chocolate cake mix
1 1/3 cup water
1/2 cup canola oil
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon instant espresso coffee
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 (14-ounce) bag caramels, papers removed
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Toppings: Ice cream, caramel sauce, chopped nuts and fresh fruit
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Spray 13x9x2-inch pan with canola oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, water, canola oil, eggs, espresso coffee powder and cinnamon. Beat at low speed for 1 minute, scraping bowl continuously. Do not over mix.
- Pour half of the batter into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat caramels and evaporated milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently, until caramels are melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in chopped pecans.
- Pour caramel mixture over warm cake in pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Then spread remaining batter over all. Bake 30 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven and cool cake for a least 30 minutes.
- Serve warm turtle cake with ice cream, drizzled with caramel sauce, additional chopped nuts and a garnish of fresh fruit.
Makes 24 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/24 of recipe): Calories: 280; Total Fat: 16g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 30mg; Total Carbs: 35g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 4g; Sodium: 240mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.