Flourless Chocolate Cake
Serve this decadently rich and moist dark chocolate cake with a generous dollop of lightly sweetened whipped cream.
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened)
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder plus additional for sprinkling
Lightly sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F (175°C). Butter an 8-inch round baking pan and line bottom with a round of wax paper; butter paper.
- Chop chocolate into small pieces. In a double boiler or metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water melt chocolate with butter, stirring, until smooth. Remove top of double boiler or bowl from heat and whisk sugar into chocolate mixture. Add eggs and whisk well.
- Sift 1/2 cup cocoa powder over chocolate mixture and whisk until just combined.
- Pour batter into pan and bake in middle of oven 25 minutes, or until top has formed a thin crust. Cool cake in pan on a rack 5 minutes and invert onto a serving plate.
- Dust cake with additional cocoa powder and serve with sweetened whipped cream.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.