Fresh Prune or Plum Streusel Cake
A tender, flavorful cake with fresh prunes, or plums, baked on top of the cake batter -- just beneath a crunchy streusel topping.
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon each baking soda and baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
2 cups halved Washington Italian prunes or plums
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
Ground cinnamon for sprinkling
- Cream sugar and butter until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Add dry ingredients and milk alternately to creamed mixture. Mix well.
- Pour into a greased and floured 13x9x2-inch pan. Arrange fruit cut-side up on dough; sprinkle with Streusel Topping and some cinnamon.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Streusel Topping: Combine flour, sugar and lemon extract; using a fork. Cut in butter until crumbly.
Makes 12 servings.
*To make sour milk: Place 2 teaspoons vinegar in a glass measuring cup and add milk to measure 2/3 cup; let stand 5 minutes.
Recipe provided courtesy of Washington State Fruit Commission.