Glazed Carrot-Pineapple Cake
This moist, carrot Bundt® cake is coated with a glaze of citrus-kissed cream cheese icing.
1/2 cup golden raisins
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups canola or vegetable oil
2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon orange extract
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup canned pineapple tidbits, well drained
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- Pour boiling water over raisins to cover and let set for 20 minutes; drain thoroughly and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 12 cup Bundt® pan or 10-inch tube pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat at medium speed the oil, sugar and eggs with an electric mixer. Add the in vanilla, lemon juice and orange oil, mixing well. Stir in the flour mixture until just mixed. Fold in the carrots, nuts, pineapple and the plumped raisins, combining well. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 70 minutes or until tested done when gently pressed in center and cake springs back. Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove and cool completely on wire rack.
- For the Glaze: Combine the cream cheese and butter together. Stir in the lemon juice, vanilla, orange and lemon rind, then stir in the powdered sugar. Drizzle glaze evenly over cooled cake. Allow to set before serving.
Makes 12 servings.