Golden Apple Fruitcake
Traditional autumnal flavors come together in this moist and delightful spiced apple and nut fruitcake with a rum-flavored sugar glaze.
3 Gala or Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
2 cups mixed, diced candied fruit, plus more for garnish if desired
1 1/2 cup chopped pecans, plus more for garnish if desired
1 cup chopped dates
3 cups all-purpose flour - divided use
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup vegetable shortening
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 teaspoon rum flavoring
1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C). Grease a 10-inch tube pan; line bottom with waxed paper and grease again.
- In medium bowl, combine apples, 2 cups candied fruit, and 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans, and the dates; sprinkle with 1/2 cup flour and mix well; set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine remaining 2 1/2 cups flour, the baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, salt, and baking soda; set aside.
- In large bowl with electric mixer, beat shortening and both sugars until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add dry ingredients and beat until smooth. Stir in reserved fruit mixture.
- Spread batter in prepared pan. Place pan of water in oven along with fruitcake.
- Bake 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan.
- For Sugar Icing: In medium bowl, blend powdered sugar and butter. Add rum flavoring and milk; mixing until smooth and spreading consistency.
- Frost top of fruitcake with icing and garnish with candied fruit and pecan halves, if desired.
Makes 14 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/14 of recipe): Protein: 6g; Fat: 27g; Carbohydrate: 95g; Fiber: 4g; Sodium: 287 mg; Cholesterol: 64mg; Calories: 628.
Recipe courtesy of Washington Apple Commission.