Golden Apple Mincemeat Cake
This festive, spiced apple and mincement cake is served with a brandied hard sauce.
3 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
3 large eggs
2 cups grated Braeburn or Golden Delicious apples
1 cup prepared mincemeat
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 to 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon brandy
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 10-inch fluted tube pan.
- In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, allspice, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl with electric mixer, beat oil and brown sugar until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add half the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Stir in apple, mincemeat, pecans, and vanilla. Add remaining dry ingredients; beat until well combined. Spread batter in prepared pan and bake 1 hour or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, prepare Hard Sauce, if desired.
- Cool cake in pan 15 minutes. Turn cake out onto wire rack and cool completely. When cool, dust cake with confectioners’ sugar. If desired, serve with Hard Sauce.
- Hard Sauce: In medium bowl with electric mixer, beat butter and salt on high speed until light. Gradually beat in powdered sugar. Stir in brandy. Refrigerate 1 hour.
Makes 16 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/16 of recipe): Protein: 4g; Fat: 25g; Carbohydrate: 53g; Fiber: 2g; Sodium: 255mg; Cholesterol: 62 mg; Calories: 453.
Recipe courtesy of Washington Apple Commission.