Heavenly Cocoa Cake
with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
This homemade chocolate layer cake is filled and frosted with a luscious vanilla buttercream frosting. It's so good, it's heavenly!
2 cups granulated sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
1/3 cup butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
3 to 4 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans or one 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- For Cake: Combine sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes.
- Stir in boiling water and blend well. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes for round pans, 35 to 40 minutes for rectangular pan or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- For Vanilla Buttercream Frosting: In large bowl, beat butter, powdered sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth. Add additional milk, if necessary, 1 teaspoon at a time until frosting is desired spreading consistency.
Makes 12 servings.