This cherrilicious holiday coffeecake is as easy to make as it is good thanks to refrigerated crescent rolls.
1 (10-ounce) jar maraschino cherries
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 (8-ounce) packages crescent rolls
1/2 cup confectioners' (powdered) sugar
1 to 2 teaspoons milk
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Drain maraschino cherries; discard juice or save for another use. Reserve 10 maraschino cherries for garnish; chop remaining cherries. Combine chopped cherries, cream cheese, almonds, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract; mix well.
- Separate each can of crescent roll dough into 2 rectangles; press firmly at edges and perforations to make one large rectangle. Roll or pat into a rectangle about 15 x 13-inches.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over dough. Roll up dough starting at long side of rectangle. Place seam-side down on greased baking sheet. Form into a ring, firmly pressing ends together. With scissors or a sharp knife, cut almost through ring at 1-inch intervals. Turn each section slightly on its side.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. If necessary, cover with foil during last 5 minutes to prevent over browning. Carefully remove from pan to wire rack.
- Combine confectioners' sugar, milk and 1/4 teaspoon almond extract to make a glaze. Drizzle over coffee cake. Garnish with reserved whole cherries. Refrigerate leftovers.
Makes about 15 servings.
Recipe and photograph are provided courtesy of the Cherry Marketing Institute.