Honey Apple Cake
A delicious and naturally honey-sweetened, spiced apple and raisin loaf cake.
1 1/2 cups honey - divided use
1 tablespoon almond extract
1/4 cup very strong coffee
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups Granny Smith or other tart apple, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup raisins
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan; set aside.
- Stir together honey and almond extract. Set aside 1/2 cup of the mixture. Combine remaining honey mixture with coffee, oil and eggs; whisk until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice and salt. Stir into wet ingredients, stirring until flour is thoroughly incorporated. Add chopped apples and raisins, stirring just until moistened.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. (Tent with foil for halfway through baking if necessary to prevent over-browning.)
- Spread warm slices of cake with butter and drizzle with remaining honey mixture.
Makes 9 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Honey Board.