Honey Devil's Food Cake with Rich Chocolate Frosting
An irresistible, double-layered honey-sweetened chocolate cake filled and frosted with a rich, creamy chocolate frosting.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups honey
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
Rich Chocolate Frosting:
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup heavy whipping cream
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) cake pans.
- In large bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add honey, milk, oil, eggs and vanilla; beat for 2 minutes. Gradually beat in hot water.
- Divide batter between pans.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until sides pull away slightly from pan and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. Turn onto wire racks and cool completely before frosting.
- For Rich Chocolate Frosting: In medium bowl, combine remaining cocoa powder, honey, vanilla and cream. Beat until just thick and fluffy.
- To assemble, spread frosting evenly over sides and top of one cake layer. Place second cake layer on top. Spread remaining frosting evenly over sides and top.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Honey Board.