Idaho Spud Cake
This delicious cake gets its moist and tender crumb from the addition of mashed potatoes. Eat it with a light dusting of powdered sugar or frost with your favorite chocolate frosting.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup cold unseasoned mashed potatoes
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1 cup chopped toasted nuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, mashed potatoes and vanilla and continue beating until well mixed. With mixer at low speed, add flour mixture alternately with the milk. Stir in nuts.
- Pour cake batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until cake tests done when wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool cake completely on wire rack. Frost as desired.
Makes 12 servings.